Are you concerned with the aesthetics of your teeth and gums? Do you want a straighter and more uniform smile? Owens Cross Roads dentist Dr. Elizabeth Duling offers cosmetic dental services. She helps patients who want to revitalize their teeth or improve the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Cosmetic dentistry addresses imperfections with treatment that can prevent future dental or oral health problems.
How Does Cosmetic Dentistry Improve Overall Health?
Cosmetic dental care improves the look of your teeth and can contribute to better oral health. Dental veneers and bonding can protect the tooth enamel from cracks and chips that can wear down and weaken teeth. Infection can enter the tooth chamber if there is damage to the tooth, which can ultimately lead to tooth loss.
Patients with TMD who undergo Botox can stop headaches and facial pain at the source. Botox works by relaxing specific muscles so that they no longer contract. It can relax the muscles that cause facial pain and strain due to your uneven bite. TMD is a dental issue that can lead to damaged and worn teeth caused by stress. Botox and other TMD treatments alleviate pain and stop further damage to teeth.
Clear braces like Invisalign, ClearCorrect, and Six Month Smiles not only straighten teeth but also prevent problems caused by crooked teeth. Patients with misaligned or crooked teeth are more at risk of developing gum disease or dental infections. It is difficult to clean between crooked teeth, so bacteria can easily build up in areas that are hard to reach. You’re at risk of these things even if you’ve been brushing and flossing well.
Crooked teeth can also cause issues with your bite because crooked teeth make your bite uneven. When your teeth come together, the pressure of your bite evenly distributes throughout all of your teeth. When your teeth are crooked, certain teeth take on more pressure than others. These teeth will wear down faster than the rest of your smile and are more susceptible to chips or breaks because of the pressure they’re under.
Crooked teeth are also what can bring on issues with TMD. An uneven bite is one of the primary causes of TMD. The jaw joint isn’t tracking properly when your bite is uneven. The facial muscles that assist in jaw movement tense up and strain, causing pain and pressure throughout the face and neck. The longer you leave this condition go without treatment, the more consequences there are. You may even lose function of your jaw joint.
Cosmetic Dentistry in Owens Cross Roads, AL
We offer multiple cosmetic dental treatments that address tooth damage, TMD pain, and crooked teeth:
- Botox and Dermal Fillers: Dr. Duling offers Botox, dermal fillers, and PRF facials to help patients look their best. Your dentist can use Botox to treat painful symptoms of TMD, such as headaches, jaw pain, and facial pain. Dermal fillers, Botox, and PRF facials can improve the look of fine lines on the face and smooth the skin. Dr. Duling will help you determine the best option for your specific needs.
- Clear Braces: Six Month Smiles, Invisalign, and ClearCorrect offer a more modern way to straighten crooked and misaligned teeth. ClearCorrect uses thin aligners to straighten teeth over time. Invisalign also straightens teeth over time but uses a thicker plastic. Six Month Smiles utilizes braces with clear brackets. These braces may also have a quicker treatment time than other options.
- Porcelain Veneers: Tooth veneers can restore the appearance of the front of a tooth while maintaining its functionality. Veneers are ceramic shells that treat chips, cracks, and stains in tooth enamel. These shells are ultra-thin and do not require much tooth preparation. Porcelain veneers are also a more permanent solution for cosmetic dental concerns.
- Tooth Bonding: Dental bonding is a more cost-effective alternative to porcelain veneers and is beneficial for patients just trying out cosmetic options. It can treat imperfections just like veneers, but it is not a permanent solution. Tooth bonding uses a resin material that is color-matched to natural teeth. Your dentist will shape and mold this resin material over the tooth enamel and harden it with a special light.
- Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that can remove stains and discoloration from the teeth. The results lead to a brighter and more attractive smile. White teeth can impact a patient’s self-esteem, making them feel more confident and comfortable. Additionally, teeth whitening is a non-invasive and relatively affordable cosmetic dental procedure.
Cosmetic Dental FAQs
Some patients have additional questions about our cosmetic offerings, including:
Does insurance cover cosmetic dental treatment?
Every patient will have different coverage. However, most policies do not cover cosmetic dentistry since it is elective and not medically necessary. Our team will help you determine your options for coverage. Dental insurances more often cover restorative dental treatments since they are necessary for optimal oral health.
Which clear braces treatment is right for me?
Six Month Smiles, Invisalign, and ClearCorrect all come with different pros and cons. Invisalign and ClearCorrect both use clear aligners to gradually straighten teeth. Six Month Smiles are a more noticeable orthodontic treatment but can offer a quicker treatment time. Additionally, they make Invisalign with a thicker, more durable plastic than ClearCorrect. On the other hand, ClearCorrect aligners are thinner and less visible.
If you want to straighten your smile, schedule a consultation with Dr. Duling. She will help you choose a treatment depending on your specific needs.
What are the benefits of cosmetic dentistry?
Like any other cosmetic treatment, cosmetic dentistry can positively impact your life. Improving your the appearance of your teeth will make you confident when you smile. This will improve your self-esteem. However, cosmetic dentistry is also good for your health. Certain treatments can improve your teeth’ function and overall oral health.
What’s the difference between general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry?
General dentistry focuses on preventative care and maintaining the health of your smile. Cosmetic dentistry focuses more on the looks and aesthetic aspects of the smile, though cosmetic dentistry can provide oral health benefits as well.
Is cosmetic dentistry permanent?
No, there’s no cosmetic solution that’s completely permanent. Invisalign treats crooked teeth for the long-term, but you still have to keep up with your aftercare instructions. If you don’t wear your retainer, your teeth can drift back into the positions they were before. Other solutions like porcelain veneers can last 10-15 years before needing replacement.
Am I a good candidate for cosmetic dentistry?
We have various offerings for cosmetic dentistry. We can accomodate just about any patient’s needs. When you’re interested in cosmetic dentistry, we first have a consultation with you to discuss your cosmetic goals, budget, and the current state of your oral health. The dentist performs an oral exam as well. These things help us decide which cosmetic services can best meet all of your needs.
Contact Our Dental Office
Do you want to try cosmetic facial or dental treatments? Schedule an appointment with cosmetic dentist Dr. Duling online or call her Owens Cross Roads dental office at 256.202.4186. If you have any remaining questions about your treatment, feel free to let Dr. Duling or a member of her staff know. They will be happy to help.